- Serves: 6
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 2 hours
- Cut: Blade
- 1kg lean beef blade or chuck steak, trimmed and cut into 5cm cubes
- 3 Tbsp oil to pan fry
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 4 cups beef stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups diced vegetables eg celery, capsicums, carrots, potatoes
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- Brown the beef in 2-3 batches with the oil in a heavy-based pan. Transfer to a casserole dish. Gently fry the onions and garlic for 2-3 minutes in the same pan. Sprinkle over the flour and stir well until the onions and garlic are well coated.
- Gradually pour in the stock and bring to the boil, stirring well, to make a smooth sauce. Season to taste. Add the diced vegetables and thyme and pour the sauce over the beef and vegetables.
- Cover and cook in a pre-heated 160°C oven for 1½ to 2 hours or until very tender.
Try these next…