Thai Beef and Sweet Potato Curry
- Serves: 8
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: low 5-6 hours, high 3-4 hours
- Cut: Outside
- 1 - 1.5kg lean beef for casseroling
- 1 tsp each salt and ground black pepper
- 2 onions, peeled and diced
- 3 Tbsp Thai-style red curry paste
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 medium, orange-fleshed kumara, peeled and diced
- 400g can coconut milk
- 1½ cups beef stock
- 1 - 1½ cups frozen peas
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- Cut the beef into 2-2.5cm pieces and season with salt and pepper. Brown the meat in a dash of oil in a hot frying pan; this is best done in 2-3 batches. With the last batch of meat, add the onions and curry paste and cook until fragrant.
- Put the beef mixture into the slow cooker with the garlic, kumara, coconut milk and stock, and cover with the lid.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Stir in the peas and coriander, re-cover and continue cooking on
high for a further 15-20 minutes.
- Serve in bowls garnished with shredded coconut and accompany with steamed rice and prawn crackers.
- There’s lots of curry sauce with this recipe. If you’d like a thicker curry, use only 1 cup stock when cooking in the
- To cook in the oven, simmer at 160°C for 1½-2 hours with 1½ cups of stock.
Try these next…
Prep: 10 mins